We are now well and truly working our way into 2016. January is done and dusted and February has arrived, reminding us just how quickly life can fly by. While some of your health resolutions may be in full swing, others might need a little encouragement and the team at Crave Fitness Holidays want to help with that.
Today marks the 12-week countdown until we return to the luxury shores of Natadola Bay for our next Crave Fiji retreat. Summer may be drawing to a close in New Zealand, but we are just getting ready for our endless summer season and want to help everyone feel as best as possible for their holiday with us.
Over the next 12 weeks we will be posting a series of workouts, recipes and health and beauty tips that will help to have you feeling in top condition. With renewed confidence and pride in your body and the feats it can achieve, you will be walking with your head held high – whether it be into the boardroom, or out onto the warm, sandy beach for Crave Fiji.
- When starting a new health and fitness plan it is important to first focus on your goals, to set yourself up for success. Here are our top 10 tips to help you achieve your goals and dreams
- Try to focus on one or two main goals. By setting too many different goals you may end up stretching yourself too thin and wont have the time or energy to focus on all of them.
- Set a positive goal that is specific to you and take time to understand the true motivation behind it. Keep asking yourself why. For example, your goal may be to lose 2kg, but why? Losing 2kg may be great, but the feeling of confidently standing beside your best friend as she gets married and sharing that special day with her while you both feel your best could provide more motivation. Or your goal may be to run 2 times a week – great. But why? The true motivation behind your goal may be that running 2 times a week will help towards your goal of running in a 5km event with your kids and helping to create positive behaviours for them. Understanding the motivation behind your goal can become the difference between success and slip ups.
- Understand the true motivation behind your goal goes hand in hand with the next step: visualising success. Imagining yourself at your finish line, whatever that may be, can be a powerful way to keep you on track. What the mind can conceive and believe, the body can achieve.
- Create a game plan. Achieving goals can be a long adventure, so breaking it down into mini goals along the way can help you achieve success. You wouldn’t start a cross-country adventure without first looking at a map or having a general idea of where the main sites to see are. A game plan can help you achieve all of your mini goals along the way, while getting you to your final destination of smashing your main goal.
- Make sure your goals are focused and specific. Many people use the SMART method: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-bound. Another way to look at goal setting is Who, What, Where, When, Why and How. One method may suit you more than the other, but it is important to consider each aspect and how it relates to you and your goals.
- Be accountable. One of the main success factors of goals is letting people know what your goals are. If you are in a position to do so, a personal trainer can be a great way to keep yourself on track. They will help motivate you and will ensure that you keep working at your best ability to achieve what you want to achieve. If a PT isn’t your style there are plenty of other options; online blog, find a workout buddy, get an activity tracker or app to help you plot progress, or find some sort of support crew and let them know your plans. Remember that you are a reflection of those that you spend the most time with, so start surrounding yourself with supportive and motivating friends and you will be away!
- Allow yourself to have rewards – just be smart about it. Rewarding ourselves with food doesn’t have to be the answer, and can sometimes negatively affect our progress. Think about some of the other things that you love and put them in place as rewards instead. A nice facial or massage? A relaxing yoga class? A few hours of time to yourself at the beach? The options are endless – and we do them all on Crave Fiji.
- Take it easy on yourself if you fall off track. Help yourself to become aware of why it happened and get yourself back on the path to success. Remember that nobody is perfect! Its just a temporary setback and you can get past it. Stay positive, and reach out for support if you need to.
- Our final top tip for success? Remember to remind yourself of why you started in the first place. Keep asking yourself why. Understand the true motivation and visualise success.
Take time this week to work on your goals. If you can, find a buddy to take part in the 12-week countdown and share your goals with each other for that extra added support.
Keep an eye out for the first workout challenge that we will be setting next week. Until then, we will be posting plenty of tips and tricks on our social media accounts. As always, we encourage you to send in your questions if you are wanting to know anything about health and fitness.
You’ve got this!